Pages

Friday, October 01, 2010

Buttermilk

Gym, fountain, and pie - does it get any better?
This morning, after Little Gym, Avery and I headed down to the Pearl District for some pie.  We met Amber & Josie and Christie & Henry (who were also at Little Gym with us) at Jameson Park for a bit of fountain running since the pie cart hadn't opened yet.  Avery stripped to her underwear and had a great time chasing Henry and Josie through the fountain.  I watched from the side wrapped up in my coat, but none of the kids were bothered that it was a bit chilly.

When pie time rolled around, we walked a few blocks to Pie Lab. Pie Lab is a new food cart, open only for a few hours on Friday afternoon.  The owner/server/baker conducts various, optional, social experiments on customers.  For example, one week she asked people if they were willing to allow the person in front of them (or maybe behind them) to order for him/her.  Another week, people got to spin a wheel to see what type of pie they'd get.  Today was, "Pay what you think," which is brilliant because she made way more off us than she would have with set prices.  I had a slice of buttermilk pie and a piece of peach cobbler.  The buttermilk pie was delicious.  The peach cobbler wasn't quite as good, but still very good.  I'll definitely be back.  It was fun and delicious and very cool.

Following Pie Lab, the kids played together for another 45 minutes or so, then we headed our separate ways.  I'd forgotten my phone that morning (no access to email! eek!), so I couldn't use TV to keep Avery awake in her car seat.  Keeping Avery awake in the car seat is now a must.  I let her fall asleep yesterday, then let her continue to sleep when we got home for a total of 1.5 hours napping.  She didn't go to sleep until 11 pm last night!  No way, Jose.  So, no more naps on days she's not in school.  Fortunately, she stayed awake, though it took a few "don't fall asleep" comments from me to make that happen. 
Date nights
Elise and Nolan are over tonight for the Gs weekly date night.  It was a piece of cake.  The children played very well together, ate quite well, then went to sleep almost immediately. 

Tomorrow, D and I will go see The Social Network on our date night.  Christie? Stacey?  If either of you - or anyone else for that matter - wants to join us, just let me know! 
iPhone 
My iPhone's battery is running down really fast.  I'll charge it completely and it'll be at 40% within an hour or two.  I took it into the Apple store the other day.  The guy did a reset and said if they didn't work, they'd have to replace the phone (or maybe he meant the battery, though I don't think you can remove it, but maybe they can do it).  Fortunately, I'm still covered under warranty so it shouldn't cost me anything.

3 comments:

  1. Totally behind on blog reading! Did you guys make it to Social Network? I totally want to see it, so I'll be curious to hear how you liked it. It's getting rave reviews.

    Also, I'm now totally craving pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Stacey - yes, we did see it. It was very good. The casting was perfect. The story moved along at a good clip. A definite good movie!

    Are you in for Thursday night? There was some talk of seeing a movie after El Gaucho ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely in for Thursday, and you know how I feel about movies! I'm trying to put together plans to see a friend before she goes out of town for a while, and that might happen Thursday post-Gaucho. If not, though, I'd totally be up for a movie.

    Glad that Social Network was worthwhile. I'll try to get to that one before it's out of the theaters.

    ReplyDelete