Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Receipts

BPA and receipts
Apparently BPA is often used in the paper used for receipts because it brings out the black print without the need for ink.  Excerpt from this post on Enviroblog:

Now a new, federally funded, multi-year study is confirming our concerns about BPA in receipts. More than 380 pregnant women from the Cincinnati area had their urine tested for BPA at three points during pregnancies and at birth, and the results are troubling. Women in the study who worked at a register had an average of 55 percent more BPA in their urine than those employed as teachers. Many register receipts are coated with BPA, which brings out the black print without the need for ink.

While I don't obsess about BPA exposure, 55% higher seems so out of whack. 
Gay Sex vs. Straight Sex
The title sounds very, very dirty.  However, this post is really just an analysis of the 3.2 million OKCupid users and how they describe themselves and their habits. It's fascinating which sterotypes stand-up against the data (gay men love The Devil Wears Prada and Brittany Spears) and which ones don't (gay people are not out to convert straights nor are they any more promiscuous than straights).

I also love the map showing which geographies are more gay curious.  Oregon is super gay curious, as is Canada.  Mississippi not so much.  Duh.
TV Update
A couple of weeks ago, I gave my opinion of the onslaught of new fall TV shows.  Watching the pilots is really only the first step in my process of adopting new shows to watch.  The next step is natural attrition, either because they are canceled or because I just don't feel like watching them.  When I have backlogged episodes sitting on the TiVo, yet don't feel compelled to press play, those don't make the cut.

Anyway, of the ten I listed and did not immediately rule out, I am watching four: Mike & Molly, The Event, Running Wilde, $*#! My Dad Says.  I do also like Raising Hope, but haven't watched more than the first two episodes. 

2 comments:

  1. Detroit 1-8-7 is getting better. I caught up on a couple of the episodes via Hulu and am really starting to like it. If you were thinking of going back to review any of the new ones again, I'd definitely start with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh, I just read this morning that show's about thiiiiis close to being axed.

    ReplyDelete