Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Weekend

Wind Surfing & Kayaking
Yesterday afternoon, we all headed to the beach.  D decided to rent a kayak ($10) and Mike decided to try wind surfing ($20).  D took Avery out with him on the kayak and she loved it.  Of course, she seems to love everything to do with the water.  She'll play in the sea for hours.  And she has no trouble swimming all over the place with her swim vest on - even when she's in the sea versus the pool.  Since the water is typically quite calm here and it's shallow for quite some time off of the beach, we've become comfortable letting Avery explore on her own. We're in the water with her, clearly, but she can swim around on her own.  It's nice.

I tried wind surfing after watching Mike at it for a couple of hours.  I was pretty good at the balance aspect of it immediately, but pulling up the sail is something I couldn't do without someone helping me get it up.  I never got quite the hang of the sailing part of it, but I could feel that I wasn't that far off from getting the hang of it if I'd had someone explaining all the proper things to do.  I do wonder if they would have given me a smaller sail if I'd rented it, that is since I'm smaller and shorter.
 
Football
D and Vic & Mike are at a local bar watching the football game.  It's, I think, the only place around here that would count as a sports bar.  Avery and I joined them for lunch, but decided to head back to the casa since football doesn't interest either of us much.
Girls' Weekend in The Mexico!
A few of us have booked flights down here in March ... sans kids!  Friday through Tuesday.  Truth be told, I know I'm going to have a rough time when I leave Avery for that long, but I also know it's good for both of us.  I'm very, very excited. 

Heartburn, voice, etc
I've been getting heartburn lately.  I believe I'm also experiencing a form of acid reflux without heartburn.  Basically, since the laryingitis happened, I've noticed that I start coughing up phflem after eating, particularly if I've had a less than healthful meal (grease, etc).  Online research indicates that it's probably a form of reflux. In talking with Mike, who used to get heartburn often, I think my weight gain is the culprit.  I never got heartburn when I weighed less.  And now it's started to be regular enough to make me think it's not just age, but is rather something else.  Mike is in better shape now and hardly ever gets heartburn.  So there you go.  Perhaps the fact that heartburn is so damn uncomfortable will motivate me to get in shape when I return.  I have probably gained five pounds.  We've been eating horribly, as tends to be the case when we are around Vic & Mike - the four of us together does not equal health food.

My voice is still somewhat hoarse sometimes, but it's slowly getting back to normal.  I still feel as if it's not as strong as it once was, but I'm at least not annoyed by it anymore.  The annoyance was transferred to my coughing fits after eating.   

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I hadn't even thought about the fact that it would be hard to leave the kids for our trip until you mentioned it. I'm such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a War and Peace type post today - some good stuff, some bad. Hope the bad turns to good. Overall it sounds like you're having a great trip!

    What type of swim vest do you use for Avery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lori - It's a Finis swimvest (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/15890.htm). For the kayaking, she had on a real life jacket, but wears the swimvest when we're in the pool or the sea. It works really well for her, though I think swim floaties work just as well.

    Yes, we are having a great trip! The heartburn stuff is my fault anyway.

    ReplyDelete