Boasting
I went grocery shopping with a list for the first time in a very long time. Yes, I feel proud. I even have three meals planned out. I've been cooking during my very long hiatus from organized shopping and meal planning. I just haven't been shopping for more than one or two meals at a time, and those meals are consistently ones that require no recipe (salmon, rice, & veg; steak, potatoes, & veg; chicken, rice, & veg; you get the picture).
Reverse boasting
Yesterday, I did a trail walk with Turtle, then painted the nook for 2+ hours. Those two activities plum wore me out. It was pathetic. I am so out of shape. I was huffing and puffing up the hill during the walk. After I was done painting, I was literally shaking from using my muscles to hold positions they're not used to holding for any length of time. After I carried the rug upstairs to put in the nook, I was exhausted. In fact, I went to bed at 9:30 last night because I was so tired.
Attention seeking
So, dear readers, I need advice. Avery's need for constant attention (praise?) about whatever it is she's doing has reached a level where I feel it's now something we have to curb or it's going to be a social problem for her. I'm not sure she's seeking praise as much as it is attention. She doesn't seem to care whether I respond with a "yes" or a "well done!" or an "uh huh." It's that she wants me to watch/see/admire every.little.thing she does.
A few points I'd like to make before I provide an example of this behavior:
- This need isn't specific to when I'm not paying direct attention to her. I wouldn't be (as) concerned if she did it only when I was on the computer or looking at my phone - both of those activities are difficult to handle since attention is so very diverted. She does it all.the.time.
- I'm personally not overly annoyed by it. I'm more concerned with the trend. I also know that I would find any other child who did the same thing very annoying. Ergo, I have to assume a vast majority of teachers will find it annoying, as will peers as she gets older.
- I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a function of a lack of sufficient attention by either D or me. While our attention does not revolve around Avery when we're all home together, both of us actively focus on spending time where our attention is devoted to Avery (vs. the phone or the computer or a book or TV).
OK, an example of the behavior: I was coloring with Avery the other night. She had her drawing she was coloring; I had mine. About every fifteen seconds or so, she'd exclaim, "Look it!" and want to show a line she'd drawn or that she used a color or whatever. At that point, I used an example from a WordGirl episode she's been watching lately. In the episode, there's a girl who is always boasting about how she's the best at everything she does. Someone explains to the girl that no one likes a boaster. I tried to parallel that logic to the attention seeking Avery's exhibiting. I explained that, like boasting, our society doesn't like attention seekers. I further explained that she should try waiting until she was completely done with her drawing, then ask us to look at the final product. She said, "OK!" but did no such thing.
I have a few questions for you readers:
- Do you think this is a problem that is personality driven vs. age driven? If it's age driven, I can see letting it go and getting through this phase. If it's personality driven, I do feel like it's behavior we need to curb, or at least guide in a more acceptable direction.
- Does anyone think this is a behavior that we shouldn't try to curb? While I can't say I'd be convinced that it's acceptable long-term behavior, I'm definitely open to hearing other opinions. Looking at it from another perspective, I can see how someone might say trying to curb this behavior is not accepting Avery for who she is.
- Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Ha! Looking at this blog post, maybe Avery gets this from me! Bragging about going grocery shopping. That's pretty pathetic. I will take solace in the fact that I do not expect compliments or acknowledgment of my grocery shopping feat. That, and you have to come here to read about feats like grocery shopping and me avoiding napping. In fact, I'm beginning to think there must be something wrong with all of you. Why would you do that? Silly readers.
ReplyDeleteFWIW, I think this issue is 1000% age-driven. When I go to Josie's dance or art classes after preschool, I get a headache having to listen to all the kids (and Josie's one of the worst offenders) yelling to the teacher, "Look at me! Look at what I did! Do you like this? Watch me do this!" The teachers each claim it doesn't bother them but I *know* they're lying. There's no way that wouldn't wear on you after a while! I've talked to Josie a lot about how (in my opinion) that's not really appropriate in a class situation. I don't think that the children should be "fighting" for the teacher's attention when every child will absolutely get their fair share of attention.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is age-driven. I don't have anything concrete to offer other than my gut feel that it's just a phase... at least the "look at this!" part of it. Attention-seeking is probably personality, not a phase, but I don't think that is a problem myself. As she gets older you can guide her towards more acceptable ways to seek attention.
ReplyDeleteOf course I could just say it's age-driven because I personally am hoping that some of Elise's negative behaviors are just a phase that she will outgrow. I have been repeatedly assured that she'll outgrow it, by others who have older kids. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
But in all seriousness -- I really do think, in my gut, that it's just an age/phase thing. The only reason I worry about it, really, is because I know other people can find Elise annoying.
Maddie does the same thing, as does Riley to a certain extent. I also hope it's age because it can be exhausting even for me, and I know it's only more so for anyone else.
ReplyDelete