I think January 2011 will turn out to be my least bloggy month ever. Let me check ... nope, that was last month. This month will have a few more posts. The limited blogging is not due to depression, as would be the usual explanation. It's due to more to just trying to manage life. I had an anxiety attack, seemingly out of nowhere, last week. I hadn't, and still haven't, been feeling down. As I noted before, I have noticed an increase in fidgeting and just feeling off, but my mood remains great. In any case, I'm not hiding that it happened, but I don't feel like catching up on all that has happened since I last blogged. It's entirely possible my anal retentiveness will win out and I'll have to do another post to list out what's been going on, but I'm going to try to press forward as normal folk would do. Here goes ...Swimming & Avery
Swimming classes are going great! I assumed Avery would sail through the first level given it's not really swimming, but when I asked Teacher Ryan if I should sign her up to repeat this level or sign up for the next level, he indicated that she should repeat. All the kids in her class should repeat. I was surprised because all the kids fully participate (after an initial slow start from Henry) and stick their heads in the water and blow bubbles and willingly float on their backs. The passing point is putting her face in the water without hesitation. Personally, I don't see any hesitation on Avery's part to do this, but I trust Teacher Ryan (he totally rocks), so repeat we shall.Travel
Avery loves classes and loves getting the $1 popcorn bag for sale in the lobby.
Henry & Avery with their popcorn after class. Photo by Christie.
Somehow, the first half of 2011 has become the time o' travel for the CdT household.Elimination Diet
- Early March: Mexico - I'll be heading to Mexico for five days, four nights of kid free, husband free fun with several friends. Woohoo!
- Late March: Disneyland & San Diego - all three of us are heading to Disneyland! Long story as to why we're going and why we're doing it the worst week ever (spring break), but I'm still excited we're going. But shhhhhh! We're keeping it a secret from Avery. I don't think she knows what Disneyland is anyway, but no talking about Disneyland excessively around her. D will fly back after our three-day adventure. Avery and I will then head down to San Diego (or parts there about) to visit my dad and Joy. In all, she and I will be gone a week.
- Late April - Washington, DC - we're heading to DC to connect with D's dad and his partner, Rosie. While there, we'll also connect with my aunt & uncle, my friend Jeremy, and D's friends Kate & Thomas and their two kids. My mom is also coming to DC, though she is flying separately. Should be a lot of fun!
- May - home sweet home - nothing booked ... yet.
- Early June - Las Vegas - our annual long weekend in Vegas with friends Vic and Mike. Avery will stay with the Gs.
- Late June - Colorado - we'll be heading to Colorado to celebrate my nephew's third birthday. We're not sure yet if D can join us, but Avery and I are definitely going. I haven't decided if we'll stay longer than the three days for which my brother has rented a cabin for everyone.
I have hired a "holistic health coach and food expert" (and former Top Chef season 1 contestant) to help me with elimination diet attempt #2. Basically, she'll provide menus and recipes catered to my specific needs. D is less than enthused that I opted for this route because it is a lot of money to spend. After all, I still have to buy and cook all the food. She lives on the East coast. I am a capable person who can research things. Yet, I know I can't do this without some serious support. I have all sorts of food hang ups. I struggle to get dinner on the table 4 nights a week and that is with just the restriction of no pig in place. Basically, I decided that, if I want to get any sort of normal-person energy back, I have to figure out what is causing the exhaustion. I'm sure it's sugar, but I think it might be something else as well.Sewing Class
My other thought process in taking the plunge to spend the money is that I'm at a point where that we're talking about my health means something. I'm guilty of taking my health for granted. Keeping my weight reasonable has always been easy. Keeping somewhat active has always been easy. Those things have always been reflected in the tests run by doctors. The last time my cholesterol was checked, it was still in normal, but it was higher. My doctor asked what had changed and I said that I'd stopped walking the dogs regularly. She said it'll pop back to normal when I get back to that. Stupid as it sounds, that one thing made me realize that what I do and don't do actually does affect my health. True, I knew this before, but I don't think I ever felt this connection before. Being blessed with no major health problems (except for my craziness, but that's a whole other can of worms) meant I coasted along taking everything for granted. High blood pressure happens to other people. High cholesterol happens to other people. Diabetes happens to other people. That uptick in cholesterol made me internalize I am "other people." [Resounding duh! from readers duly noted].
My energy is so sporadic right now that I just can't put it off anymore. I'm in a bit of a bind now since I have to get started on the diet ASAP to finish up the three-week portion of the diet where I need to eliminate basically all food (kidding). Right now, this means I'll be in the process of reintroducing when I'm in Mexico, but I'm more determined this time around, so I'm hoping that'll carry me through the fact that I'll be out of my element food-wise.
This time around, I'm starting to change eating habits before the actual ready-get-set-go! date. Before, I was slamming down bowls full of Whoppers and enjoying copious amounts of Diet Coke and candy and whatever else I wanted. For this week, I've had only medicinally necessary Diet Coke (i.e. a small amount to stave off a caffeine headache). I've also eaten very healthful (or is it healthy? damn it, I can't focus on grammar and elimination diet stuff - all grammar errors from here on out will be excused says CEO of CdT) breakfasts and lunches. After dinner is where I traditionally struggle and that has remained true for this attempt. It's frustrating for me that I can easily get through all day without breaking (and it's really quite effortless), eating only healthful foods, etc, then it comes to after dinner and I go crazy.
I love my sewing class! I want to sign up for more, but the next round of classes conflicts with our weekend in Mexico. Missing one class is missing quite a bit of information, so hopefully the next round of classes will land in a time frame when I can take it.Dog Walk
We're making an apron. The first time I bought fabric, I went in and thought, "What color is my favorite?" Gray, of course. Yeah, I walked out with Greyhound bus driver gray fabric. It was so ugly. So I went back and bought another fabric. It's a teal and brown patterned fabric. Much better.
And now, I'm going to walk Turtle. I'm still no where near my daily dog walk habit, but one walk at a time, right?

Yay, looking forward to your trip to DC in April! Also, which 'Top Chef' are you working with??? That's so cool!
ReplyDeleteIt's Andrea Beaman. I'm not sure how far she made it (maybe voted out 5th or 6th?), but I tried some of her recipes at the time and was impressed. She stuck to her kind of cooking, so clearly that's not going to go too far in a Top Chef competition. When you usual minimal butter ... :)
ReplyDelete