Label:Insanity
So do you want to know what kept me up until 2 AM last night? What do you think could be so very important that I stay up that late? I became obsessed with cleaning out my gmail account. Never mind my storage is at 3%! Basically, my goal was to delete all emails to which a labeled hadn't been applied. When I view gmail through my computer, it's not a problem to delete these since I just press the delete button to delete or the archive button to save. And I never press the archive button unless a message has at least one label attached to it.
However, when I delete through my iPhone, gmail doesn't actually delete the message. It archives it. This means that when I delete a newsletter-type email from the iPhone, and there are no labels attached to it, it goes into this place of oblivion. I've known about this since a week or so after I got my iPhone (so just over a year), but thought I could just Let It Go. Not last night.
You'd think gmail would have a way to search for all unlabeled messages. If you Google that, you'll find a lot of people want this feature. You'll also find there are a few tedious ways to find them, though I couldn't get a single one to work. I think they only work when you have a small number of labels. I have 63 different labels. Regardless, I came up with my own method for identifying all unlabeled messages. Then I sorted through all those that should have had a label and assigned them the correct label. Then I deleted all the messages that were intended for deletion in the first place.
What about this problem in the future, you ask? I did actually think this through. I also developed an easy method for identifying those messages that I "delete" (which is actually archiving) via my iPhone in the future. It's a manual process to then re-delete the emails from my computer, but not cumbersome. It's like keeping my spam box cleaned out. I'm generally very good about cleaning out spam on a regular basis.
Yep. I did all that for a personal email account in which I still have 97% of my storage free. Being crazy is hard sometimes.
Medication
The next topic isn't far off from the first one: my OCD-like obsessions. I don't officially have OCD, but I have obsessions that a layman would call OCD. And with regards to these obsessions, I definitely notice a huge difference when I'm on anti-depressants. On medication, I can just let things slide; I'm not obsessed with stupid little things; I don't freak out if something isn't perfect. All those things take up a lot more space in my mind when I'm not on medication. I don't really understand why my OCD-like-tendencies are helped by medication, but I know beyond any doubt that my tendencies are definitely minimized.
In the last few weeks, it feels like the medication isn't performing quite as well at suppressing my OCD-like obsessions. I've gotten in a loop on several things such that, after the fact, I'm shocked by the amount of time I've just squandered on a meaningless task (see above).
Yet, my mood is great and I am very happy in life at this moment. As such, I don't want to increase my medication dose. I don't want to mess with it when I'm not having any side effects from it and my mood is stable (well, as stable as any "normal" person).
Loreto
Check out #8 on the NYT's 41 Places to Go in 2011 list.
Honest crazy people are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLoreto, here we come!
ReplyDelete