Pages

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Marathon


Late Licker

Avery was never one to put things in her mouth too much.  She did it, as all babies do, of course.  But it wasn't much of a challenge to take it away when she was small enough.  When she was older, I would say no and it just seemed effortless to get her to not put things in her mouth.  Now, at 3 years old, she is licking EVERYTHING.  Yesterday I caught her with a wrench in her mouth.  At Disneyland, she would lean forward and put the fence or railings in her mouth.  You name it, she's licking it.  WTF, I ask.  I thought only babies and toddlers did this.  She also never sucked her thumb, but those damn fingers are in her mouth all.the.time now, it seems. 

1h 45m

Avery had three dance classes totaling 1 hour and 45 minutes yesterday.  And she was engaged in all of them.  I am not foolish enough to think that she'll be as engaged in each one in the coming weeks, but I was pleased it was not too much to handle.

A summary of our Friday (travel time included in activities):
  • 9:30 - 11:00 Doctor's appointment for Avery (all is well - no worries)
  • 11:00 - 11:30 Ballet shoe purchase
  • 11:30 - 12:45 PDX Playdate with Henry
  • 12:45 - 1:30 REI to exchange shoes
  • 1:30 - 3:45 Dance: hip hop; pre-ballet; terrific twirling
  • 3:45 - 4:45 Car seat installation marathon (see below)
  • 4:45 - 6:45 On my own with the three kids at home
  • 6:45 - D comes home and I cash in the fact that he's going out with buddies next Saturday night whilst I do a G date night solo, which meant I told him he was putting all three kids to bed for the night.  He, thankfully, obliged. 

Car Seat Installation Marathon 

I offered to take Nolan and Elise directly from dance class (Elise is in Avery's third dance class, the terrific twirling one).  I have a spare seat for Elise, but needed one for Nolan.  For some reason, the spare seat for Nolan wouldn't install correctly.  Each time we thought it was in there securely, I'd do the forceful wiggle-test and it would make its way loose.  Eventually, RHG decided to remove a Britax car seat (read: easy enough to install and a guaranteed safe installation) from her car and put it in mine.  Anyway, there's not much else to note other than after ensuring all three car seats were properly and very, very tightly installed, I kind of felt let down when we didn't get in an accident on the way home (jk, of course).  Car seat installation is like insurance: you want it to be solid, but you don't really want to test it's solid. 

Double Date Night

We have date night tonight.  We're not doubling with another couple, but we are doubling our movie viewing; we'll see Win Win and Source Code. I am really looking forward to this date night.  And Avery is really looking forward to heading to the G's house.  I told her this morning she was going over there tonight.  She asked, "Can I go now?!"

2 comments:

  1. M&R did *exactly* the same thing with the licking and fingers in their mouths at around age 3-and-change. I thought I had been given a free pass on that one since neither of them had been the type to put things in their mouths (other than food) as babies or toddler. Alas, the late blooming in this regard has stuck and I must say, "Please take your fingers out of your mouth," or "Please don't lick that" at least 50 times/day. They will be FIVE in June. It drives me nuts. I hope Avery's stage with this behavior is shorter. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Snick - well, I guess I'm happy to hear other children did/are doing the same (weird, to me) thing. I also hope Avery's stage is shorter. There doesn't appear to be any slow down at the moment. Plus, she knows it annoys and boggles me, so I think that makes it all the more appealing.

    ReplyDelete