Pages

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Off


Off Day

After a very, very off day yesterday, I was doing quite well today.  Yesterday, I napped for 4 hours.  I haven't needed a nap in a long time.  That is to say, I've taken a few naps since my energy changes, but those were luxuries and not necessities.  Yesterday I just hit a wall.  Zero motivation, exhausted, and feeling down. On Tuesday I scheduled an appointment, for next week, with my PMHNP/therapist to discuss upping my dosage based on other signs (increased fidgeting, increased irritability, short fuse, etc), so I can't say I was shocked that the wall appeared.

Today I've been doing better and actually doing things in the house.  That is until I had deal with poop-tastrophe number two this morning.  The first one was the usual morning pile-o-poop left for us by Eddie.  Thankfully, that was in the garage.  Without going into details, it was an ickier than usual cleanup.  I'm tootling around the house getting things done when I let Eddie in from the backyard.  Then I start to smell poop. I look around for the inevitable gift only to not see one.  Then I spot Eddie's paw out of the corner of my eye: covered in poo and he's just walking around my house.  That is, in my view, far worse than a pile of poo.  So I get him outside, clean up the entire area where he's been walking, then get a pan of soapy water outside to clean up his paw.  After all that, I'm exhausted.  Not from the physicality of it, but because I'm just Done with it.  And my Done with it attitude is far worse when my medication is not working as well as usual.  

Diet & Energy Update

So where am I with my diet and energy?  I'm doing very well, overall, with energy.  I have normal-person tiredness.  When yesterday's wall appeared, I realized that I know for sure that my exhaustion and napping was not in my head.  It's due to a combination of depression and diet - sometimes more one than the other.  However, yesterday took me right back to where I had been for years and it was a good reminder that I can't just will myself out of it.  I decided to just go with the flow, let myself nap, and hope for better things the next day.

Diet: I'm still eating fairly well.  When I was on vacation, I ate a number of things that I try to avoid in my day-to-day life, namely gluten and sugary treats.  I still didn't binge and that is a very good thing.  The gluten typically comes in the form of cheeseburger buns.  I have no problem avoiding cheeseburgers in day-to-day life, but it's harder on vacation and it's even harder when In-And-Out is an option.  I haven't had gluten via pasta since pre-diet and I haven't had any cravings for it.  I'll eat the occasional cracker or item that may have some breading on it, but for the most part, I avoid gluten.  I also break the no-gluten rule when I eat quite a few desserts.  A small amount doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on me.  The great news is that I find it so very easy to avoid most gluten.  Note: if I had to completely avoid all traces, that would be very difficult.  But drastically reducing it in my diet has been easy.  Note 2: Ironically, I ate much gluten tonight when Avery and I ate out at New Seasons. I now regret that decision as my stomach is very upset with me.  But, I don't have a headache.  I just feel unwell.

The biggest change I have made in my diet, when I really break it down, is replacing gluten-carbs with brown rice-carbs.  I used to eat a bagel for breakfast, now I eat brown rice cereal.  For lunch, sometimes I'd have a sandwich or some pasta, now I have brown rice with some protein and fruit or veggie.  For dinner, pasta would often be an option and, again, I have just replaced it with brown rice.  Fortunately for me, I love brown rice as long as it's cooked a certain way. 

Migraine source: I've blogged about my pizza migraines before.  I'm closer to finding the culprit.  It's possible it's tomatoes when they're cooked a certain way, but I lean strongly towards it being garlic powder or onion powder.  I had a large bowl of tomato soup for lunch on Tuesday.  Within an hour, I could feel the pizza migraine coming on.  By the evening, D had to finish cooking dinner and put Avery to bed for the night.  When I checked the ingredients of the soup, I saw it had both garlic and onion powder in it.  I don't dismiss that tomatoes might be the culprit, but I can certainly eat some tomato-y dishes and not get a headache.  Likewise, I don't get pizza migraines from upscale places.  As RHG pointed out, upscale pizza places don't typically use garlic or onion powder as a typical pizza joint might.  I'm not sure if the migraine brought on by food on Tuesday had anything to do with yesterday's offness. My guess is it was one of a number of contributors.

Weight: My weight is hovering about 3-5 lb above where I was before I started gaining weight (which was around April/May of 2009) due to excessive doughnut consumption combined with dropping my daily dog walking habit.  Anyway, I'm happy with that, though I'd like to drop that last 5 lb.  My body fat is nearing where it was back then, too.

Mistake

I made the mistake of watching Extreme Couponing on TLC last night. Now I want my own stockpile for next to nothing.  Yet I don't care to do all the work to get there.  Plus, these extreme coupon clippers are kind of crazy.  I could totally see myself going there.  And to be honest, the whole reason I'd want a stockpile is so that I could organize it and then reorganize it.  Hell, I'd probably end up Freecycling most of my amazing deals, thereby costing us money.  For the sake of our financial future, I must avoid coupon-ing at all costs.  I do not have what it takes to save money.  I just have what it takes to spend more money to ultimately save a little money.

No comments:

Post a Comment