I thought the tantrum days were behind us. At least the really big tantrums. I was wrong. Avery was so difficult yesterday. I supposed compared with the height of her tantrums, it was nothing. However, I'm not used to her being like this, so it took the wind out of me. She was difficult in the morning, pouting and throwing mini-fits when I said no to several things. She was fairly good, but still a bit sensitive, while we were at Christie's decorating cookies and playing in the park. Then we got in the car to go home. I realized we needed dinner ingredients, so we stopped at the New Seasons in Sellwood. I had her wait in the car with Mom. She cried and wailed the entire time I was in the store, then on the whole ride home, then for about 15 minutes when we got home. When she finally calmed down enough to be able to talk, she and I talked about it for a bit, then we both fell asleep for at least 2 hours (probably more - I don't remember when we actually fell asleep).
The good news is that she seems herself today. Hopefully yesterday was belated punishment for me being gone so much in March, rather than the start of a new phase for her.
Parking, Garage and the Movers
The movers are arriving today with Mom's stuff. We have the garage all ready with spaces marked for ideal locations. Ideal means that D will be able to continue to park his car in the garage with the stuff. I don't think that's going to happen. Mom has more stuff than I estimated (which, in fairness to Mom, she told me repeatedly that she had a lot of stuff and I dismissed it), so I believe it'll take up two of the three parking spaces in our garage. D graciously offered to park his car outside so I could have the inside spot. That is so nice because it's much easier to get Avery loaded into the car in the morning when I can just open the garage door and tell her to get herself buckled into her car seat. Plus, I make a lot of trips in and out of the house every time I leave the house. I'd have to be a lot more organized without the convenience of parking in the garage.
Mom and I have a plan as to what is going where in the house and garage. Most of her stuff is being stored in the garage, but there are a few things that'll go into her quarters and out on her deck (i.e. the cement patio outside her door).
Avery is here the whole time because I didn't make an effort to find alternative plans for her today. I figure the worst case scenario is that I have her watch a lot of TV/movies. She's typically good at staying out of the way, but we'll see how that goes.
Mom Living Here
We received various reactions from people when we mentioned Mom would be living with us for a while before she moves into her own place. Most people thought it was great. Some people thought we were crazy. One thought D specifically was crazy: "You're OK with your mother-in-law living with you?!" Yep, he's just fine with it. Truth be told, I've been more worried about Mom's ability to handle living with me than the opposite.
My biggest challenge is getting used to having a dog in the house again. The only adjustment, really, is that he's a dog and he comes with dirt, but I knew that would be the case. I just have to re-adjust to that reality. Barkley, despite being a huge dog, is pretty easy to have around. And he's good with Avery. And he's is not needy. Oh how I love a not-needy dog.
I think Mom's biggest challenge has got to be trying to learn to read my moods (D said, "How can you NOT read them?!") I acknowledge that I am not easy to live with (hats off to D for putting up with me). Mom said she has learned I don't like questions during dinner time preparation. That is true. I do not enjoy dinner preparation or cooking, so I'm not relaxed during that time.
Anyway, status = so far, so good!
No comments:
Post a Comment