Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Food

Food Graphics
I'm a sucker for a good chart. I like when information is broken down into logical parts so it's easy to consume. This one on We Are What We Eat is fascinating. Have a look if you are so inclined.

The Big Picture
I follow The Big Picture blog from the Boston Globe. While looking at their lastest post on Sierra Leone: 10 years after Civil War, I was struck by picture number 4. The boy on the right is wearing a lacrosse jersey. I searched for East Lyme Lacrosse and found it's in Connecticut. I assume this shirt was discarded/donated by some American kid and found its way across the ocean to another continent to this kid in need. It makes me wonder if there are any of my discarded t-shirts being worn by someone far away. I'm sure there are. You donate shirts and people wear them ... duh. But for some reason all I can think about is some kid in Africa walking around in my tennis t-shirt from 7th grade.

Walking
I've walked for an hour each of the last three days. I've also hit my calories (or close enough for me to say I have) for the past three days. Of these accomplishments, by far the most significant is that I walked on day 2. I did this walk between dropping Avery at school and taking D's car in for a service. Which means I did the walk not around my house. It was actually a much easier route - most any route not around here will be easier than a route around here - but I'm still a creature of habit. I normally talk myself out of straying from my usual routes, or I come up with another reason I can't do it, but I stuck with it on day 2 and I'm pleased.

So, yeah, I'm bragging about three days. Sigh. Why are good habits so hard to maintain and bad habits are so easy to fall back into?

And now, D has taken Avery to gym gym (we have no idea why she calls the gym "gym gym," but she does and it's stuck and now we call it gym gym). That means I should be off for my hour walk, too. Yesterday's route: 57 minutes, 3.85 miles, ascent/descent of 562 ft, burned 376 calories.

1 comment:

  1. There were always piles and piles of American clothing for sale at the markets in West Africa. I'm not sure where they all came from, but they were always grouped together in the same section of the market, heaps of them. Africans assumed that the clothes were from dead people and called that part of the market the Dead White People Market. Kind of intimidating until you realized what was going on.

    ReplyDelete