Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Hour

Health and Fitness
Today was day 6 of walking an hour each day. It's going well. Today I did a route that was exactly 4 miles in 57 minutes. The app on my phone (Walkmeter) tells me my (average) speed is between 4.5 and 5.0. I love having the an app to track exactly how far, how long I walk, and tell me precisely how many calories I've burned. That it takes into account elevation changes is also cool because I want credit for the hills! 

I've set my goal in my calorie tracking app (Lose It!) as losing 2lb per week, which is the most aggressive weight loss goal the app will allow. The app tells me I have to eat just 899 calories per day to achieve this goal. I have adjusted it to add 200 calories more because 1. I can't hit 899 per day and 2. I do think that with all my errand running, school drop-offs, fidgeting, etc, I probably do burn at least 200 calories more. At least I really hope so. Anyway, this puts me at just 1,099 calories per day. That is HARD to hit. So if I want to come even close to hitting my calories, I have to burn at least 300 calories walking. I've been hitting about 390-400 the last few walks, so that gives me about 1,400 calories (give or take) per day that I can consume and still be on track. I was over quite a bit yesterday since we had a potluck dinner to attend (and I still very much struggle with eating reasonably when at a social event or at a fine dining dinner), but I've been doing well the other days. 

I've also given myself a goal of losing 20 lbs by the end of July. I'm giving myself some leeway from hitting exactly 2lb per week since we'll be on vacation in Mexico for 10 days. While I'm going to do my absolute best to walk everyday when we're down there, my track record of maintaining any sort of healthy regimen when I'm on vacation sucks.  Anyway, if I hit that goal (and it has to be the entire 20 lb), I'm rewarding myself with a gift. I'm not going to blog what it is because I'm a bit embarrassed to admit such a reward seems to be motivating me. If you want to ask in person, go ahead. I don't mind sharing in that situation, I just don't want to put it on the blog. 

Movies
We saw movies galore this weekend! On our date night on Friday, Mom joined D and me to see Marley, a documentary about Bob Marley. I knew close to nothing about Bob Marley prior to seeing the movie. He was quite an impressive man. I've decided that if they make a movie about his life, James Franco should play Bob Marley. Sounds odd, right, but see the documentary. It's like Bob Marley is what a love child between Barack Obama and James Franco would look like. 

On Saturday, we had just Elise and Nolan for the G's date night, so Mom, Elise, Nolan, D, Avery, and me headed to a movie, The Pirates! Band of Misfits. It was all right. I wouldn't rush out to see it, but it was enjoyable.

The potluck dinner last night was at RHG's house. She offered to have Avery spend the night since we'd be over there anyway. This meant we got a free night to see a movie, and that I got to have Monday morning off from taking the kids to school! D and I drove to a theater out in Hillsboro to catch a reasonably timed showing of Safe after we left the potluck dinner at the G's. It's not a good movie, of course, but it was exactly what we wanted: an action flick heavier on action than plot. Plus, it starred Jason Statham. If had a laminated freebie list, à la Friends episode #53, Jason would most definitely be on that list.

Crafty Stuff
I finished up Elise's BD invitations. I had to make a few adjustments from my original grand plans, but I was still pleased with the overall result. I didn't take pictures, but maybe when Elise gives Avery her invitation I'll take a picture of that.

I have about 30 more wedding invitations to do for Carlotta. I'll have to hold off on finishing her RSVP cards and addressing the envelopes until she and her fiance determine their new address.

I bought more fabric for sewing some things for Avery, Elise, and Nolan, but with the incorporation of my getting fit goal into my routine, sewing has been put on the back burner. Balance: I've yet to master it. I fear that by the time I do master it, I'll be too old to actually balance anything other than eating and sleeping.

TV
I'm so disappointed with this season's Mad Men. It's just plain boring. On the upside, summer is coming so that means there will soon be a new season of Suits!  And I think a new seasons of Project Runway is slated for this summer, too. 

3 comments:

  1. I already have it on my todo list to take a picture of Elise's invite -- I will send it to you when I do. Or, I might scan it.

    I think your calories from exercise seem low. If I run at that pace for 30min, the calorie estimate ranges from 260-330, between the treadmill readout and the two iPhone apps that I have been testing out (Lose It! and MyFitnessPal). Thus, for one hour duration of that level of exercise, I'd be at 520-660 calories. Never mind the extra from the hills. I know running is less efficient than walking, and we have different weights, but I still wouldn't think the calories would be that disparate? It might be worth investigating, since you are on such a tight calorie budget.

    I have been double logging in Lose It! as well as My Fitness Pal for about 10 days now. I like the UI of Lose It! better, but the database of My Fitness Pal is WAY bigger, and also I can see more of my friends' meals and exercise activity with that app. Still, I find myself more inclined to log food in Lose It!, so I guess the simple and easy data entry UI is that much more compelling. I'm drawn to the little food icons. I'm not trying to be super diligent in calorie watching, just more "aware," for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the calories burned is pretty accurate. I did it on three different sites with my weight and walking at 4.5. If I up it to 5, then I do get higher calories burned (490 ish), but I don't think it's accurate to log at 5 even when my app tells me I am averaging 5 mph. Because then I would have walked 5 miles in 60 minutes rather than 4. As it is, with an average pace of 4.5 mph, I should, logically, be clocking 4.5 miles instead of 5, but I've decided to just let that little discrepancy go and trust that the makers of the app knew what they were doing.

    I will say I'm not entirely confident it's appropriately taking into account the hills because the online comparisons I did don't take into account the elevation changes and I come out with roughly the same calories burned. However, since I'm assuming I burn 200 more calories than it estimates someone of my age, gender, and weight would normally born, I guess I'll also assume that I'm burning a few more calories on my walks than I'm actually logging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. head spinning. can't do math after 10p apparently. glad you have thought it through -- just wanted to mention since I think the calorie error is to your detriment, or rather, i think the ultimate calorie correction, if there is one, would work to your favor. :)

    ReplyDelete