I tried a Crossfit class on Tuesday. I liked it. However, I did way too many squats and have been hobbling around for two full days now. Going down the stairs is the worst. Before you say that I should take things slowly, I thought I was taking things slowly. When everyone else was using actual weight bars and weights to do their squat and thrust thingys, I stuck to the PVC pipe. When everyone else did real pull ups, I used a rubberband thingy to spring me up to the bar. But alas, I'm in not good shape and now I'm paying the price for it. I missed today's class, but I'm still going to sign up for the classes. Oddly, they're at the same gym where Avery does her Kung Fu ... and with the same instructor. That's all this gym does: Kung Fu and Crossfit. And it's only open for those class times. Odd.
All this soreness meant that I couldn't walk yesterday or today. I'm hoping I can at least stroll tomorrow because while I did fairly well eating yesterday, I did very bad today. Whether I walk is directly related to how I eat.
The upcoming events section
Next week, I bought us tickets to see Compagnie Käfig, advertised as "Europe's Most Acclaimed Hip-Hop Company." I was drawn to it because it features 11 dancers from Brazil and that just looked interesting. Plus Avery likes to watch all types of dance so I bought the four of us tickets. It's an evening performance, so I'm hoping I can get Avery to take a nap that day. I'm thinking I'll drive around in the car about 4:30 and that should do it. She hardly ever takes naps anymore, but a car ride around 4:30 should seal the deal.
Mom and I are also going to see This American Life at the movie theater. It's being filmed live and then broadcast in movie theaters throughout the country. Mom and I both love TAL, so it seemed like a good activity for us.
This weekend, Avery will get to join Josie in watching her sister, also named Avery, dancing. She'll also get to go to Josie's BD party on Saturday. It's a Wagner weekend!
Due to D's busy schedule, we have no date night scheduled this weekend. Of all weekends! The opening weekend for Marvel's The Avengers. Damn it!
On Friday of next week, Mom leaves for Colorado for two weeks. This means I'll be on Barkley duty. Which basically just entails: one, taking him for a walk (easy peasy since I'm doing that anyway) and two, stepping over him as he naps all day (which I do anyway). However, it does mean I'll have to empty the dishwasher. I have emptied the dishwasher maybe twice since Mom moved in. She likes to empty the dishwasher!
The crafty stuff section
I'll post the picture of Elise's BD card even though RHG posted on FB. The text was all done using a gel ink pen and my Cameo. I'm particularly pleased with that because I had to rig up pens - using duct tape and cutting pen tubes and all kinds of crazy shit - to get it to the point where I was pleased with it. The only part I'm unhappy with the is placement of the "messy" warning. Why I didn't shift it up higher I don't know. Then the paintbrush wouldn't be at such an odd angle. Oh well. Live and learn.
I'm now working on a couple of graduation cards for Mom. One of the cards is for a former student of Mom's* who is graduating from the Air Force Academy. Actually, that's the reason Mom is going to Colorado. This student was able to choose three teachers to invite to the ceremony and she chose her 4th grade teacher! Seriously, how big of an honor is that for my mom? I am so proud. The frosting on the cake is that President Obama will be giving the commencement speech. Anyway, in making this card, I wanted to make it a bit Air Force Academy specific, so I searched online and found a picture with a good angle of the Cadet Chapel. Then I converted that image to a .bmp and imported it into my Cameo software. Then I used the trace functionality, made a few edits and used a black pen to draw the picture below. I am damn impressed with it.
![]() |
| Close up of the drawing |
| Picture of the (unfinished) front of card |
* I was editing this post and thought maybe the apostrophe was wrong, but then it seemed like it wasn't. If I typed "Mom's former student" it would have a possessive apostrophe, right? But as "student of Mom's" it seems somewhat wrong, but without the apostrophe it would be like saying the student of multiple moms. I'm leaving it the way it is. Stacey & Christie & Vy and all you other grammar experts can enlighten me.


You should get a job marketing cameos and silhouettes. I want one despite zero interest in paper crafts.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy CrossFit - I like that I feel that I get a really good workout in a short period of time. I also like the CrossFit gym atmosphere where it's competitive yet still supportive of everyone of all different skill levels.
ReplyDeleteThat cadet chapel is so cool!
It says quite a bit about your mom that she made such a big impact on a student (an Academy grad, no less!)
re: "former student of Mom's," I think it's a generally accepted double possessive (translation: the way you wrote is correct.) I'm no expert, though.
ReplyDelete