Yesterday we arrived at the casa around 2 or 3 pm. We settled in quickly, then hit the hotel pool*. Mike and Bear joined the three of us at the pool while Vic worked on paperwork for a house sale (Realtors never stop working it seems). Vic was able to join us for dinner. The six of us ate at the hotel pool bar.
For sleeping arrangements this trip, Vic & Mike & Bear are in the lower bedroom that has the two queen beds in it. Avery, Damian, and I are in the upstairs bedroom with the one king-sized bed in it. We brought down a memory foam mattress topper (thanks Mom!) to fold over and use on the floor for Avery's bed. It worked out even better than I'd hoped it would. Avery was more than happy to settle onto it for bed and stayed in it all night. When I came up with this idea, I envisioned that we would simply put the mattress topper on the floor each night, then fold it up and move it out of the way during the day. When we got here, I realized that we're not the type of people to do this on a daily basis, especially on vacation. I also realized that I don't really use the nightstand. So I shoved the nightstand into the corner, folded the mattress topper in half, and wedged it between the bed and nightstand. It's perfect and just what Avery needs at this age. Eventually we might have a trundle bed somehow installed under our bed to accomodate Avery when we have guests with us when we're down here.
I slept great last night. Avery woke me up at 8 AM here (7 AM Pacific time). I'll take it!
Avery declined to go on a walk with me. I only managed to go for 45 minutes before I was too bored and hot to continue. I struggle with boredom on my hour-long walks in Portland, but it's better there since there are significant hills to break up the monotony. No hills here - at least not where I'm walking. Tomorrow perhaps I'll set a goal of walking earlier in the morning so I can venture further without worries of getting far out and then having to make my way back in the blazing sun. Anyway, my goal down here with regards to daily walks is just to go for as long as I can. If I walk slow (because Avery's with me or whatever) that's fine. I just want to stay in the habit of the hour-long mental dedication to some sort of physical activity. So far, so good.
When I got back from my walk, A wanted to go for a bike ride. So she biked and I walked down to the store for a treat.
![]() |
| Avery sitting down to enjoy her treat |
![]() |
| Leading the way back to the casa post-treat consumption |
* The community pool is being repaired, so it's out of commission for our entire time down here. We can use the hotel pool free of charge and that works just fine for me.



the memory foam bed is so tidy and clever!
ReplyDeleteLove the last pic of A on her bike.