Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Soccer

Timbers v Galaxy
Last night was the Timbers vs the Galaxy (aka the team Beckham plays for). The season ticket holders of the seats next to our seats go to almost none of the games AND they don't sell/give away their tickets. This is rather nice to me because it gives me more space. D gets annoyed because of the waste of it. Anyway, the seats were filled with a teenage couple. I suspect the boy was simply there because he girlfriend wanted to see Beckham. They didn't do anything inappropriate or icky, but young love is so gross. I know I'm supposed to yearn for the days of young romance or appreciate the beauty of it or whatever, but I don't. All that fawning and obsessing - blech. And nowadays, they're constantly filming themselves together or taking pictures of themselves on their iPhones. But I digress.

The game: I enjoyed it very much even though we lost 3-5. First, it was fun that we scored two minutes* in. Second, I've developed a new appreciation for what I now know to be called "ball handling skills." I have no idea how impressive what I saw was on a global scale, however, I was focused on Landon Donovan at just the right moment to see an impressive feat of ball handling and now I more Get soccer and it's worldwide appeal. So much so, in fact, that I just watched some ball handling clips on YouTube, you know the highlights set to peppy/badass music. Third, Beckham is indeed a good looking guy, so I thought maybe my recollection of his ridiculously high-pitched voice was off base. I watched a few clips from interviews with him. Nope. That voice totally kills any hotness he may have. Who knew that a non-high voice is an absolute requirement of masculinity for me? Height = doesn't matter; weight = sort of doesn't matter; muscle-mass = sort of doesn't matter; pitch of voice = really, really matters.

Anyway, I have moved from not being able to sit through a game, to being able to sit through a game as long as I have my Kindle, to being able to keep track of the ball, to being able to appreciate and be impressed by ball handling skills! I'm making progress, people! Plus, I think I've made a little bit of D's dream come true because he kind of gets googly eyes with me sometimes during the games. It's the same look I get when we sit next to each other on a plane. I have no idea why, but I get all googly when we fly together. It's weird. What was I saying about disgusting young love?

*Never take my description of when something happens in a game literally. I'm generally quite clueless. Like it needed to be said ...

No comments:

Post a Comment