Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2013

Avery

friends & hugs
The other day Avery and I were waiting for her ballet/hip-hop (strange combo, I know) to begin. A girl I didn't recognize ran up to Avery and they embraced. This has been happening a lot: Avery hugging girls I don't know as a greeting. I know it's not unusual as I see girls doing it all the time, but it's a very real reminder of just how old she's getting. She makes her own friends, she greets them, she has conversations about standing next to them in the show - all on her own.

I have no recollections of hugging my girlfriends on a regular basis, at five or any other age. Was it just me who didn't do this? Or is this something new for this generation?

playing on her own
As I type this, Avery is upstairs in her room playing on her own. I hear the occasional rescue phrase yelled, screeches, etc. She started playing without my urging. This may be something that happens all the time with other kids, but not Avery. If I'm cleaning or doing tasks, she'll start to engage herself with games and imaginary play, but it's always near me. And only if I'm BUSY. This is a new stage that I'm definitely on board with.

BFFs
Avery and Elise had a sleepover here last night (Friday, 2/1). They decided to sleep on the floor of our bedroom. They, of course, both ended up in bed with me (D was in the guest room after I warned him of the girls sleeping on our bed). But before they ended up in bed with me ...

Elise had a runny nose apparently.

1 comment:

  1. I think the hugging is very generational. I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of times I hugged my girlfriends in middle/high school but at my* Avery's school, there is constant hugging. Hugging first thing in the morning, in between classes, at lunch, and definitely at the end of the day. They can't get enough of the hugging.

    *I don't know why I still feel the need to clarify that I'm talking about my Avery and not yours (as if there will be mass confusion if I leave it ambiguous), but I do.

    ReplyDelete