Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Loose!

Eddie's collar popped off while walking today. And, of course, it happened right when a truck was passing by so Eddie chased it and almost got hit. Fortunately, the guy slammed on his brakes and glared at me. I would have glared too. It looked like I'd just let him go because he still had his nylon collar on, but the leash was hooked to the pinch collar. When I was buying the stupid thing at PetSmart, I looked at the little clasp thing and thought, "This looks like trouble." When will I learn to listen to myself? I still went with that one figuring it would be easier to take on and off, rather than having it slip it over his head each time. However, after using the collar once or twice, it quickly became evident that putting it over his head was much easier than clasping and unclasping it each time. I am going to try to exchange the collar, but we'll see if they take it back given it's been used so much. I will not have a service rage incident if they don't take it back; I am deciding this ahead of time to avoid potential SBR. It could have been a much worse situation, but it still shook me up quite a bit. What really sucks is that, before the incident, we actually sat at the busy intersection at the bottom of the hill and watched cars and trucks go by for a good 10 minutes. He did really well, but he never full relaxes. Turtle would have just put her head down and chilled until I said it was time to go, but Eddie is always on guard in case the cars attack. I took them on a .9 mile walk, dropped Turtle back home, then took Eddie on the 2 mile route since Turtle's limping, so she wasn't with us at the time. I have made an appointment for her to go back to the vet who did her surgery to see what we should do. That's next week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:36 PM

    How scary! Glad everything turned out okay. Do you have the prong collar that has the French snap to clip it on/off (like this one http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=1566)?

    With the regular prong collar (one without the French snap) you should not have the collar loose enough to slide over the dog's head; you have to link/unlink the collar on. I hope this makes sense!

    Here's some good instructions on how to fit a prong collar. http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

    I understand your pain. I could only walk my dogs (70lbs and 100lbs, respectively) with prong collars. They were angels with the prong collars on, but without them any stray cat/dog would set them running (with me being dragged behind them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing it all wrong. I knew that most collars are designed to sit where the picture shows the prong collar should sit, but I clearly didn't do enough investigation on this collar. Knowning this, I'm still glad I took the other one back. It was way too confusing even if I had been doing it right. This is a great article - thank you! We will put this to use on our walk tomorrow. Maybe it'll be more successful.

    ReplyDelete