Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Falafel

The other day I stumbled upon this blog called The Peevery. At first, I loved it. An entire blog devoted to blogging about things that peeve you. I am still reading it, a good run considering most blogs I attempt to add to my daily reading list don't make it a week, but I have decided not to try and join. For one thing, there's an audition process. I don't like proving I'm good enough. I know I'm good enough and if you don't think so then clearly you're demented (that's fake bravado for those who don't actually know me). For another, the other peevers sometimes blog peeves that I don't agree with. Finally, some of the entries themselves peeve me. For example, some woman whined about getting a flaming email that was meant for someone else, followed by an apology once the sender realized his/her error. Why would you still be annoyed? He/she apologized and it wasn't meant for you - all you had to do was click the delete button. I know, that's a bit much exercise for some of us.

Anyway, I decided to blatantly rip off The Peevery and form my own little version of it with a whopping one person member: moi. So as not to infringe on any non-existent copyrights, I will call mine Falafels. For those not in the know on this one, several years ago I worked with a very annoying coworker. He annoyed all of us, not just me. He was the type of person who even the nicest person had to complain about behind his back because he was just that annoying. But he also tried to be liked, and tried to change, so we all felt bad about it. One day, we were sitting around doing our usual, "I like Andy and everything, but..." and would then launch into a bitter tirade about what a jackass he was. Anyhoo, the group of us realized it would be more efficient to come up with a code word to cover the whole "I like this person and all, but ..." portion of the complaining session, as well as to expand it to be used when complaining about anyone behind their back. Also, the person hearing the complaint would respond to a falafel with a Tahini, which meant that we had processed the disclaimer of "this person is a very nice person, but ..." - I won't make each one of you respond with a comment of tahini for each of my falafels - that's just how considerate I am.

So a conversation would go something like this (often this was via IM):

Complainer: yt?
Megan: y
Complainer: falafel
Megan: tahini
Complainer: that was so wrong what just happened in that meeting, what a jackass! more complaining
Megan: yes, you are so right.

Notice how I'm not the complainer in the above example. He he. I would never complain about anyone behind their back - I'm much too mature for that.

There were variations on when the tahini acknowledgement would come, but you get my drift. So I think Falafel is an appropriate term to use for my peeves because I could very well be peeved by something that one of you does, says, believes, or otherwise supports in some way and I think the bees knees of all my readers, even if you do commit Falafel #53.

Let's get this party started. I shall number my falafels. I get annoyed easily, so I would expect to see a good 500 of these within two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:01 PM

    Frequent IM convo...

    Joanne: Did you see [some woman's] last peeve?
    Michelle: She was totally in the wrong!
    Joanne: I know!
    Michelle: lame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't always agree on a peeve - bound to happen. You have a great blog, peeved michelle!

    ReplyDelete