Last night we rented two movies, neither of which were we able to finish because they were so exceedingly dull:
Gunners Palace and
Mrs. Henderson Presents. The former was a documentary on US soldiers living in one of Uday's palaces in Iraq (at least I think that's what it was about ... it's entirely possible it was something else). I've never seen a worse documentary. It wasn't that it skewed facts or had an overt or hidden agenda. It was just plain dull and didn't seem to have a story at all. Horrible. I didn't know war could be so dull. The latter is the one with Judi Dench. Also very dull. D and I made it further into that one, but finally just looked at each other and decided it best to turn it off. This is why we don't rent movies very often: we've already seen all the good stuff while it was in theaters.
We saw
Cars earlier in the evening. A thoroughly enjoyable movie, though in the middle it got a bit slow. The best characters were Luigi and Guido, in my opinion.
I saw on YME that Beyonce was ambushed by PETA members who won a lunch with her on an eBay auction and during that lunch proceeded to grill her about her use of fur in her clothing line and for wearing it. I was happy that someone made her squirm about it; partly because I don't like her public image very much and partly because I don't like fur. While I would never throw paint on anyone or go to extreme measures like that, I am anti-fur and I do tend to give disgusted looks to people I see walking around in fur coats. I don't mean to do it, but it just happens because
- I think people look ridiculous in fur coats. It's like walking around with those stupid purses that costs thousands of dollars and they are just so amazingly ugly.
- It really does make my stomach turn over to look at a massive fur coat being worn solely for fashion's sake and the glee with which people wear them.
Ultimately, I suppose a lot of my dislike of fur coats has to do with the intent behind wearing it. It seems to me, the real intention is to draw attention to yourself. It says you have money and that you consider yourself stylish. It's the same reason I don't like the stupid purses and why I don't wear any clothing that has a label showing on the outside when that label is an expensive brand. It's a kind of drawing attention to fashion rather than you as a person. Hiding behind the coat, or the handbags, or the clothes, or the jewelry is something that I perceive negatively. I know some people who do that would still be interesting when all of that stuff came off; but others would just be empty and lacking in substance, ala Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson. And if they're not, why do they insist on being portrayed as such idiots and bringing all other women down in the process?
No comments:
Post a Comment