Pages

Friday, September 08, 2006

Office

This afternoon, I should get a copy of MS Office for the iMac ... just in time as my trial version of Office ran out yesterday. I also took the iMac into the Genius Bar (that's what they call it!) at the Apple store yesterday to test out her Internet performance on their network. The page load time is quite slow at home and when I did tests at the same time on my laptop and iMac, the laptop did so much better. The good news is that she did just fine at the Apple store. The bad news is that she did just fine at the Apple store. We don't know what the problem is. He adjusted a couple of minor configuration setting, but they didn't seem to make much difference. Apple support suggested it is our router, but that is not logical to D or me. The only way to determine if it is the router is to buy a new one and switch them out. That's a fairly expensive test. The good thing is that I don't get angry at page load times because she's so quiet. When my laptop would take forever to launch Excel or open a file or whatever, I would become livid because you could hear the churning and it would make so much noise and it was just constant. Apparently, I can handle most anything if it's quiet. Good to know.

Half Nelson has opened in PDX, so we'll probably go see that this weekend. Hollywoodland is also out. I don't have a huge desire to see it, but I would guess we'll probably end up going to see that one as well.

We did manage to get up and workout this morning after failing to get up the last two mornings. This weekend, we're planning to add weights at the gym to our workouts. I'm not looking forward to it, but it needs to happen.

Finally, I've noticed a great improvement in the past few weeks with activity during the day. Why? Because school has started - yes! This means the neighbors HS age kids, and all his expensive car driving friends, are in school and therefore not racing up and down the street every 10 minutes. They still arrive after school, but at least it's not a constant barrage of people like this summer.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:19 AM

    did you/they run the disk utility on your imac to verify the hard-drive? if the load times are not affected by your other computer, i don't think it's a router issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did run some scans on it, but I'm not sure what they were. I think the hard drive is fine and that it worked just fine in the Apple store indicates it is either the router or something environmental in our house that interferring with things. We might end up switching the Comcast for high-speed anyway. Qwest's customer service pissed me off and I don't belive in rewarding people who don't really want my business all that much.

    ReplyDelete