When in doubt, title your post after the very creepy bellman at the hotel, Todd. Todd was our shuttle bus driver. We missed him on our first pass through the airport in what I can only assume to be instinctual avoidance on our part. We knew there was crazy on that side of the room so we looked to the other side. Todd definitely needs to take some courses on how not to make eye contact for excruciating periods of time. Todd asked us, as he carried Amber's insanely light suitcase up to our room when she would have much preferred to do it on her own, whether we were both "Mrs. Wagner." I guess it was nice that he didn't make any assumptions either way, but coming from Todd, it was just weird.Because
Anyway, we had a very good weekend in Bend. At least I did. Amber had walking pneumonia and came equipped with prescriptions galore. However, given she wasn't contagious, didn't bail on me despite her sickness, and there were no toddlers in sight, I can only deem the weekend extremely successful.
The hotel, with the exception of the aforementioned Todd, was awesome. It did lack pay-per-view which I must have mentioned to Amber more than a few times, not such much in complaint as much as sheer surprise. I've never been in a hotel without a variety of movies to choose from.
We were able to get cupcakes from Ida's Cupcakes. FYI, Le Cakery is no more, but the woman who ran Le Cakery with a partner has opened another store across the street and renamed it since she never liked the name Le Cakery. This purchase was not without some drama. I called them late Saturday morning to check their hours. They said they closed at 5 pm and were closed on Sundays. We took a nap until 3:30, then walked the mile to the shop. When we got there at 4, the "Closed" sign was hanging. Devastated, I tested the door handle. It opened! I boldly stuck my head in and asked if they were really closed. She said she had a few more cupcakes and I said I'll take them all. That was a bit of overkill since even I couldn't eat all six cupcakes in conjunction with all the other stuff I was inhaling over the course of the weekend. On the way back from Ida's, we stopped in what we assumed was a gift store. It turned out to be the largest candy store I've ever seen.
Powell's in Bend
Powell's in Bend
My haul. Turns out, I should have just bought the Laffy Taffy since that's the first thing I always go for anyway. The red velvet cupcake was also delicious, but one cupcake was enough.
For the next weekend away, I'm definitely going to do it in Portland. A hotel that is walking distance to some good restaurants and a movie theater and I'll be all set.
Avery is now using the word because, though she says 'cause. This morning she said, "I need a napkin please 'cause I spilled."Fail
I have caved for the first time on TV watching with Avery. After we attempted not once, not twice, but three different times to go on a dog walk, I was so frustrated that I turned on the TV for her, came into my office, and am getting my frustrations out via this post. Turns out it was good we didn't make it on the walk today since we got hit with a sudden hail storm. But it was still very frustrating nonetheless.Leak
We'll see if this slip leads to angry child tonight. She watched a couple of hours of the Oscars yesterday with D (that's his cave, not mine) and had a minor ten-minute episode of angry child last night, so my guess is we're both going to be paying the price for my TV-restriction-failure. Such is life.
The connection between our refrigerator water and the wall has been leaking. I don't know for how long, but I suspect it's been a slow leak for some time and recently got much worse. As I was leaving the house today, I noticed the floor boards were buckling and dark from dampness around the edges. I emailed RHG to get the name of a good plumber. He called back and talked me through figuring out where the line connected and then how to turn it off. They ran plastic tubing from the fridge to the water rather than copper, which is apparently a guarantee for a leak to spring. Great. The plumber will be here tomorrow to fix the problem and install some copper tubing.Away
We'll have to see how damaged the floor is after it dries out. As far as I'm concerned, as long as there isn't some danger (mold from the dampness or something like that), I'm fine not fixing the floor. Our floor is so messed up that I consider it a waste to fix just part of it. Plus, as I've said before, knowing that our floor is so jacked up is probably the only thing that allows me to stay sane when the dogs scratch it up with their claws.
D is in Chicago until Wednesday, so Avery and I are on our own. Thankfully, she'll be at school tomorrow and Wednesday, so the days should be easy enough.




The only reason I can think of that might dictate fixing the floors, is if the warping were enough to throw things majorly out of whack. Refrigerators should be on level floors, but I am sure the floor did not warp that much. If you have particleboard cabinets (which is likely) and water got into the sides/back, then that could lead to mold. The only other thing I can think of is that the cabinets, if they got wet, might warp and push the counter out of whack too. (If you think I jest, I have seen a poorly installed granite countertop pushed out of place just from the steam of a dishwasher.)
ReplyDeleteAll of this is very, very, unlikely. I am sure the plumber will know what to look for and recommend in terms of serious water damage.
@Rachele - all good to know. I don't think there is any cabinet damage since those looked pristine. The floors underneath don't look overly warped, so I think it should be OK, but I certainly don't know anything about this stuff so I will obviously defer to the plumber's judgment.
ReplyDeleteYour whole wrap-up of Bend was hilarious. I needed a good laugh tonight, so thank you! And thank you as well for being sure to get the Kleenex in the shot of the dinner table. Now I'm sure all your blog readers will be knocking down my door to be my next dinner date!
ReplyDeleteJust in case I don't get around to blogging about it soon (blogs are the slow lane now, you know), I had a fabulous time and I apologize for being so sick. At least I can rest easy knowing a nap was part of your plan all along!
Still jealous but oddly happy I missed out on Todd.
ReplyDelete