Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fire

Another lazy few days
Not much to report.  We did have a fire here on the day D landed.  As he and I were driving back from the airport, we saw a huge cloud of gray smoke rising from smack dab where our community is located.  As we got closer, it seemed it was coming directly from the houses, but once we got close enough to see it, we realized it was the brush on the other side of the golf course that was on fire.  The fire trucks were already there (hey! we have a fire department down here - cool!) and the situation seemed to be under control, so we went about our day as if there was no brush fire nearby.  All turned out fine, though the smell is still lingering a bit.

We have gone to the pool twice since D arrived.  Avery is very, very confident in the water.  Too confident.  She has no qualms about jumping in or stepping off the steps into deep water.  She'll do this with her swim vest on or without it.  I've let her sink for a few seconds to demonstrate she needs to be aware when she's not wearing her swim vest, but that does nothing to deter her confidence and enthusiasm in the water. Since she is increasingly against wearing the swim vest, it makes things challenging sometimes.

As usual, Avery went on her walk with Mom this morning.  She said she didn't want to go to the beach as they usually do.  Instead, Avery ran almost all the way down our side of the community in the direction of the pool, then turned around and was running home when she fell.  She skinned up her knee and her elbow, and must have hit her nose, too, since it was red.  She's starting to look like a kid from when I was a kid with skinned up knees and dirty feet.  She'll let us put neosporin on her knee, but refuses a band aid.
Dinner
I welcomed D on Friday by not wanting to cook dinner, so we headed into town to finally have dinner at the new hotel.  The restaurant has gotten rave reviews from other homeowners, so we had been wanting to try it.  It was very good.  And that hotel is very nice inside.  I didn't think it was nearly that quality from the outside, but I really felt like we weren't in Loreto anymore.

Tonight I cooked noodles in alfredo sauce (thanks for the recipe and left over cream, Christie!) and served it with some baked chicken.  Tomorrow we'll have roasted beef tenderloin, and then Monday I guess we'll have fajitas or something like that. I got off easy on the cooking this time around since Christie was here, the chef came two nights, and we dined out one night.
Books
I finished Half Broke Horses and am now 36% through Man is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag.  It's a good read so far, though a bit difficult to read in spots. I find I quite like non-fiction memoirs.

2 comments:

  1. Am reading a fascinating non-fiction book you might like: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is pretty science oriented but the writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @KMK - Thanks! I've added that to my to my to-read list. I saw another friend was reading it, too.

    ReplyDelete