Elimination Diet - Day Two
Day two was brutal. I came this close to just chucking it and eating the damn cheesecake. I made it through. Now I just have to make it through today. One day at a time.
Interestingly, I'm not having any trouble with no Diet Coke. No problems with no dairy. Very little problems with no wheat. I think the biggest one is really sugar. More so, it's just being able to eat whatever without thinking about it.
Last night's dinner was trout and curried* sweet potatoes. This morning's breakfast was brown rice, smoked salmon, and curried sweet potatoes.
*Technically, curry powder should be off the list because it has red pepper in it. However, I'm pretty darn confident that nightshades aren't my problem and it is a minimal amount anyway, so I just said screw it. I'm crazy like that.
Colorblind
When Avery was younger, D was convinced she was colorblind. I said no, most kids don't learn their colors until around 2yo, so that she didn't know her colors at 18 months was nothing to worry about. Sure enough, around 2, she started to point out colors by name.
Well, it turns out that D was probably right. He thought she was red-green colorblind like his brother. I now believe she's yellow-blue colorblind. Yellow-blue colorblind is much less common than red-green. She knows colors quite well, but I started noticing a while back that whenever she sees yellow, she says it's blue. Never the other way around. It's like she can't see yellow at all. And sometimes she'll say white is black, but I suppose that could just be not remember the name of a color. I don't know. I'll ask the eye doctor about it when we go back for her checkup. Sadly, her room is painted yellow. If she sees yellow as blue, and she's not particularly fond of blue, I wonder what she thinks of the color of her room?
Avery Quotes
Avery's sentence structure is improving each day. There are many times I'm surprised to hear the (relative) complexity of the sentences she's speaking. As stated before, I suck at remembering the cute things she says. Off the top of my head, here are a few:
Avery: "Dad! We need to talk the dogs for a walk."
Dad: "Why?"
Avery: "Because it's part of the deal!"
She often says, "That's too loud for my ears," and, "I don't like that noise in my ears." I don't know why, but I find that phrasing so cute.
Clearly I must say this one a lot: "I don't have the patience for this right now!"
Yesterday, I asked Avery what she wanted to do. She thought about it earnestly, then replied, "I want to go buy a purple elisatard." First, she knew specifically what leotard she wants. Second, she called it an elise-a-tard. I corrected her pronunciation and she's gotten it right since then.
Sleep Routine
Our world has been thrown into chaos, relatively speaking. For the past few weeks, Avery gets ready for bed as easy as ever, but when it comes time to actually stay in bed and go to sleep, well, that's a different story. She comes into the hall and plays; she asks us to repeatedly come upstairs to put the blanket on or to cuddle with her; she reads books really loudly; she brings her potty into the hall, then proceeds to go potty in the hallway (in the potty); and on and on.
Closing the door doesn't work very well anymore. She cries like she's really actually scared. I can handle crying because she's throwing a tantrum. But crying that sounds like she's scared I cannot handle. So that trick won't work for us anymore.
I decided to make a huge sleep chart and then show her the prize she gets if she stays in her room after we put her to bed at night: a purple skirt! We've tried a sleep chart before, but it was smaller, she didn't help make it, and I didn't buy the prize in advance so she could see it. This actually worked last night! She stayed in her room and was asleep about 15 minutes later. Awesome!
I thought Riley was red/green colorblind for a while because he consistently reversed those colors when naming them. He did this for months. I have never remembered to ask the doctor about colorblindness. I'm not trying to say that Avery is or isn't colorblind, but now I'm curious to go home and give Riley a little color test. We don't name colors all that often anymore, not the way we did when it was an emerging skill, so I have not thought about this in ages. Hmm.
ReplyDeleteNice work with the sleep chart, and what a cute skirt!
@Stacey - Oh, I conceded this might be me jumping the gun. However, I've done a few tests recently which kind of confirm it enough in my mind that it's moved from a possibility to a likelihood.
ReplyDeleteWe'll see. I hope she's not, but of course it really doesn't matter in terms of her health (to my knowledge). As long as she's healthy, we can label yellow colored clothing!
I love the sleep chart! Great idea--how many days of good sleep before she gets the skirt?
ReplyDelete@Mom - four.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you think nightshades are not your problem. I cannot imagine trying to avoid tomatoes! I am trying to avoid dairy these days (I break out) but it is hard, particularly the sweets. So I feel for you. Good luck!
ReplyDelete