One in search of hooks
I am one who is looking for hooks. So that makes me a hooker, right? Several months ago, I admitted to myself that my knife-rack-as-art-display area was a failure. It would actually have worked perfectly had I installed the knife racks higher. But at Avery level, she just promptly removes the art work to show off/carry around/do whatever, then leaves said art work laying about the house. Eventually I gave up on it as an art display area and stuck some ill-fitting hooks on the knife rack and we started using it as a spot to hang her coats. I like that spot for coat hanging, but the knife rack doesn't work as well as would, say, actual hooks. So I'm in search of quirky/unique/cool hooks for that area. In my search, I happened upon these three Fork You hooks that I want to put there so very much. The good mother in me won't do it because sooner or later Avery will imitate it, but damn it, I love it! Fork you. Cracks me up.
I do like the idea of using repurposed silverware for hooks given this is in the kitchen. The guy does make peace sign hooks, but I realized the other day when I bought Avery underwear (because it was on clearance) that had peace signs on it that I have a strong aversion to the peace sign and peace symbol. I'm all for peace mind you, but both the symbol and sign are so overused that it's like putting a brand on my wall. I rarely wear anything that reveals itself to be a particular brand.
Anyway, I also love a lot of other things in this person's Etsy shop. I want to buy these business card holders to use as name place holders, make name cards (embossed ones, of course) and then throw a dinner party. Of course, I don't actually throw dinner parties, but I like these suckers enough to start doing that again. Alternatively, I could use them to label brunch dishes at brunches! Or I could assign seating at brunches. Oh, the possibilities are endless. But $60 seems a bit steep to spend on such a whim. Still, can't you see the possibilities! Then when I start thinking about it, if it's only going to hold one card, versus a stack of cards, the holder should be less bulky. He has fork ones for holding recipes, but I kind of like the spoons. It's a moot point. I'm not spending $60 on it. (Oh, I say that now, but it's only a matter of time before I cave. I give myself six months).
I also love these little vases. They're so cute and quirky. There are a bunch of different designs of them, so I'm not sure which I like best. But they're so cool.
Hmmm, you can request custom work. It would be very cool to have five fork hooks that spell Avery in sign language. That's probably too expensive to justify, but I like the idea.
Anyone know someone who runs a lot of marathons? This would be a great gift to display their medals on. He has ones that say Marathon and other distances, too. I like the numbers since you kind of have to think about it.
Oh, I think I found my favorite quirky one so far. The hanger coat rack. This might be the one. I just wish it had five hooks. I shall sleep on it.
So, I am not a big holiday person and I don't like wind chimes (too much noise), but I still want this. How cool is that for a decoration?
Sewing
I finished my apron last Sunday night. Christie took a picture of me in it, but I didn't take a picture of it finished. It's an apron and it's done. Truth be told, I just wanted to learn and didn't care much about the actual apron.
My next project is going to be a knitting needle case for Rachele. Egads. I'm going to follow the instructions on a blog post she found that goes through the steps to make a case.
The next step is for Rachele to pick the fabric from a list I sent over (assuming she finds at least one of them to be acceptable), then I shall go shopping for additional supplies. One of those will be a rotary cutter because I quickly discovered my hatred for cutting fabric with scissors.
IKEA
I went to IKEA after lunch on Saturday. Avery was so good for the whole trip. I let her pick out a toy for her, one for Elise, and one for Nolan. She picked out the same stuffed rat for everyone, but she got herself a white one, Elise a gray one, and Nolan a black one. Both Avery and Elise went to sleep with their new rats tonight. Nolan couldn't have cared less about it.
I bought a cabinet to be installed over the toilet in our master bathroom. The toilet is in it's own little room and has an insanely high ceiling. I think it only seems insanely high because it's such a tiny space. Anyway, we have no upper cabinets to use as a medicine cabinet in our bathroom. I want to keep medicines, etc out of reach of Avery, so I had put them in our hall linen closet. I'm ready to reclaim that closet for linens, so this seemed a good solution. I didn't want to spend a lot on a cabinet, so IKEA seemed a good solution. We'll see if I feel that way when it is installed.
I went with a kitchen cabinet rather than the bathroom cabinet. The bathroom one is more narrow to avoid bumping your head against, however, there were very few choices with that cabinet. Also, we have the aforementioned insanely high ceilings, so it can be installed high enough to avoid head injuries, though I must say I think a head injury sustained when pooping would be highly amusing.
Sleep Over
E & N are spending the night tonight following our new spend-the-night option with date nights. To be clear, the spend-the-night option will be used sparingly, but it does afford the couple enjoying the date night to not have to retrieve kid(s) after the evening and be able to sleep in a bit in the morning.
New Ailment
And a new ailment to add to the growing list. Just now I tried to say, "Are you freakin' kidding me?" (stupid website problem) but what happened was my throat contracted painfully and forced me to cough to clear it. Body, why must you hate healthy food so? Give in to it. Embrace it. Megan likes her energy.






I wonder if your 26.2 etsy seller is the same one who made my "COATS" rack... it also has four hooks and I wish it had five. :)
ReplyDeleteThere are a LOT of vendors at the Saturday market which sell those fork-sourced art pieces... hooks, holders, you name it, they make it. It is almost overwhelming because it feels like every third booth sells the utensil stuff, and some booths are clearly way more creative than others. Check out the east side of the market where all the food carts are as well.
Your 26.2/hanger hooks guy is the same one that did my "COATS" rack. He does custom orders so I am sure you could get the hanger with 5 hooks instead of just 4.
ReplyDelete