SSP1
I know I can't get started sewing the knitting needle case until after I return from California, but I did manage to get the paper patterns cut, then used those to cut the cloth. I bought a rotary cutter because, as Amber and Christie well know, I absolutely hated sitting there trying to cut out the fabric with scissors. I found with a rotary cutter and a long metal yard stick, I was able to cut very fast, very accurately, and avoid pinning the pattern to the fabric. So worth it.
Pattern cutouts
Fabric, interfacing, and batting
Induction
Since I have several trips coming up (California, DC, Seattle, Vegas, Colorado), I decided to buy a portable induction cook top. This means I'll easily be able to cook the most important staple for keeping me eating right*: brown rice. I also want to be able to start each day with my brown rice cereal. So, I bought an induction cooktop and am planning to lug it with me to each location. I find if I "pre-eat" before going out to eat - particularly breakfast or brunch - I can still be a part of the meal socially, but maintain my diet for the most part. And by diet I mean maintain a way of eating that gives me enough energy to not require naps every day.
I'm testing out a batch of brown rice on the burner as I type this. For this first trip, I'm borrowing one of RHG's saucepans that will work with an induction burner. Basically, if a magnet will stick to the bottom of a pan, then it will work on an induction cooktop. I'll buy my own pan for such purposes, but I didn't get around to it before California, so a loaner will work.
I haven't tasted the batch of rice since it's still cooking, but it was shockingly fast to boil water. Gas stoves are 30-35% efficient; induction is 80-85% efficient. It is a little loud for me. This is probably because I bought a stand-alone, portable unit in combination with the fact that I did not buy a top-of-the-line model. It's not super heavy, but not light, either. We'll see how it works for putting it in my suitcase when I pack later today.
* I have just found that if I have my base of brown rice, then I can easily add vegetables and things to it to get at least a good start going to a meal. It helps me from going crazy and just eating whatever I can get my hands on. For me, it's the mere fact that I'm hungry, and therefore, shaky that generally contributes to poor eating.
Hybrid Car Seat
And while I'm at detailing new purchases, I'll cover the new car seat I bought for Avery. Well, I bought it more so I'd have a spare car seat in the car for driving Elise, Josie, or Henry. The way I'm using it means it still meets Oregon state law for children under four. It has a harness, but can become a simple booster seat. I also bought it because it is easier to travel with than a regular car seat.
RHG did all the research into what type of booster I should buy (she loves researching this stuff, I hate it, so it's a rather perfect arrangement) and came up with this one. I must admit I've been making fun of RHG quite often for her admitted obsession with car seats and car seat safety. However, I'm pleased enough with this seat to give it a section on the blog. It takes me less than a minute to install it (awesome!) and it's a really, really easy install. It also comes with a travel bag which is doubly awesome. And the final added bonus is that Avery loves the seat. It's still too early to determine if it's the seat she loves, or if it's just that it's something new and novel to her.
Hybrid car seat/booster installed
Hybrid in its travel bag
Kindle cover
We'll just make this whole dang post be a consumerism post. I finally broke down and bought a cover for my Kindle. I bought the one that has a built in light and has 4+ stars (out of 5) with over 5600 reviews. The cool thing about it is the light is built into the cover and it charges off the Kindle itself. So when you turn the Kindle off, the light goes off. I chose apple green, which should come as no surprise to anyone.
I love apple green
Notice the light is not on because the Kindle is not turned on
Once the Kindle is on, if the light is pulled into position, it will light up the screen



Love the apple green cover and the intelligent light.
ReplyDeleteThe Oregon law for boosters has nothing to do with age (your post references age 4). It just has to do with weight (cutoff = 40 lbs).
Elise loooves the Hybrid seat too, but right now I think it's a novelty thing. Time will tell. I love the minimalist style (as minimalist as a harnessed seat can be, that is).
Since you presumably know more about induction (than the average person) because of me, and since that knitting needle case is for me, I feel like I have touched all sections of this post. Perhaps I should just give you a guest account on my blog and you can write your posts there. :)
Lots of cool stuff!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little confused by the light on the Kindle. I thought it didn't need to be lit up in order to read it?
@Snick - it doesn't need to be lit up if it's daytime, but if I'm reading at night and don't have a lamp nearby, having a built in light is useful. It's also useful on airplanes.
ReplyDeleteI made the mistake of buying a cover without a built in light for my Kindle. I thought I would never need to read in the dark. Well, it turns out that I do need to read in the dark so I bought a light. My second mistake. The light doesn't stay in place and the battery drains rather quickly. Now I'm out the same amount of money as a cover with built in light without the functionality. (And I can't bring myself to justify replacing it.)
ReplyDeleteLong story to say you made the right choice.
Ah ha. I get it now.
ReplyDelete