Español
My interest in learning to speak Spanish is still high. As any reader of this blog knows, I'm a hot or cold kind of person. I'm either SUPER EXCITED! about something or I am simply not. My interest in things ebbs and flows. I have very few things I'm consistently into at all times. It's not a trait that I love about myself, but I must accept it because it's just how I am. I'm still motivated to learn and I feel like I'm progressing, at least in my understanding of what has been presented to me so far. I seriously doubt I could understand someone speaking to me in Spanish - even about what I've learned so far - without visual prompts. That said, I do feel like more is sinking in than has during any of my previous attempts to learn Spanish.
Avery is also very interested in learning Spanish. I have to figure out how we're going to make that happen. Suggestions anyone? We're not going to enroll her in a Spanish immersion school, so it has to be something else. Rosetta Stone works somewhat for her, but it's really designed for those who are old enough to read and understand the software is using social interactions to teach language. I'm not sure she'd comprehend the second part just yet.
One thing we have thought* about is getting a Spanish-speaking au pair with the hopes that having a native speaker live with us as a family will get us all moving on learning Spanish. This, of course, seems like overkill since we don't have need for an au pair from a childcare perspective. It would be cheaper to hire a tutor. However, whenever I ask people how they learned another language, almost all say you have to be immersed in the language for a period of time. Well, having someone in the house who speaks Spanish will immerse us a bit more than a tutor. Plus, being in Mexico for a week or two at a time will do the same. Maybe the combination of the two will get us to simple conversational Spanish? The other factor is that D simply doesn't have the time to commit to either a tutor or Rosetta Stone. When I bought our year-long subscription to Rosetta Stone, I figured we could all do it. However, it does take a lot of time to just get through the exercises, even if you're faster to comprehend that I am.
*thought about = one non-serious conversation
Avery activities
Avery seems to have enjoyed her camp this week. I thought it would have more circus-related activities in it, but it seems that the "Join the Circus!" aspect of the camp was a loose theme. Fortunately, Avery doesn't seem to care about that at all. She's had a good time everyday and eagerly runs to sign in each day.
This week, before the afternoon camp from 1-5, she did a 45 minute sports mania class. That was useless. The instructors were poor and it was disorganized. The class didn't cost that much, so I'm only upset about it because it was a logistical challenge to make that class happen, get Avery lunch in between, then get her to camp. I definitely would not have signed her up for it had I known how pathetic it was going to be.
Next week we have no classes or camps planned. It's Avery's one week off this summer! She does have kung fu, but that's only 1/2 hour one day.
Health and Fitness
While my interest in learning Spanish is high, my interest and motivation to Be Healthy is so very low. I've not been able to get back in a rhythm logistically or mentally since coming back from Mexico. The only reason I've been continuing with Crossfit is because I feel pressure to not look like a quitter. I do actually like Crossfit when I'm there, but before every class I try to think of reasons I shouldn't go. It's ridiculous.
I haven't walked in weeks. I have no desire to walk. I have no desire to workout. I have little desire to eat better. Sigh.
What about hosting a foreign exchange student instead of hiring an au pair?
ReplyDeleteThere are apparently some "Saturday school" places that are immersion. Basically a half day from what I understand. I don't know much about, just that a friend of mine was researching Saturday schools for Japanese.
Do they have college-aged foreign exchange students? I would be up for that. I wouldn't want a HS one because I'd feel like I had to support her at school events, etc. I'll have to do research to see if they have college-aged ones. That's an idea.
ReplyDeleteIn this country, it's called "junior year abroad" or JYA. There are reciprocal programs in other countries I think. My college roommate did JYA and I remember an occasional foreign student traipsing through my college.
ReplyDelete