- Avery is taking a nap right now. Because she asked for one. She decided to curl up on the couch to do it. Last time she did this, she woke up with a fever. I think this time she was just bored, so a napped seemed as good a thing to do as anything else.
- I'm making Mom some change of address cards right now. I do love anytime I can use my Silhouette.
- I made a couple of towel bibs using just my serger. The first one I made was too fussy because it required buttons. The next one was a much better design, but alignment was wrong. The third one I made is better, but the tension was set wrong on my serger, so I'm worried the threads will snag and make the whole thing fall apart. Hopefully the fourth time is a charm. Yes, I could have made the towel bibs using just my sewing machine, but it's much faster to use the serger. Plus, I'm looking for / developing easy project to do so I can get familiar with my serger.
- We leave for Vegas on Friday - woohoo! Avery will be staying with my mom since the Gs are in Hawaii.
- I had a hair appointment scheduled for today at 12:15. I made the appointment online about a week ago, making sure it was next to another appointment I had to maximize time, then arranged for Avery to be at Nain's house. I got a call from the salon at 11:30 saying there was a "scheduling conflict" and that "no one would be there during that time." The girl on the VM was about as competent (or incompetent) as you'd expect a millennial who works at a hair salon making appointments to be. She didn't apologize. She just said they could have me come in tonight or tomorrow. I called back and said that I'd arranged my whole day around this appointment (true) and that no, I would not be rescheduling. Then I booked my highlighting and cut at a salon in Vegas. I simply can't abide spending my money at an establishment that treats customers with such disregard - I don't care if he does know how to cut hair really well! So now I'll have to find a new place in Portland.
- We moved our couch back a bit (closer to the kitchen) because we discovered we could hear the sound better from the overhead speakers. As a result, we have a weird gap of space between the end of the couch (the part under the window that faces the front of the house) and the entertainment center. We could put a table there, but it will just gather dust. There is absolutely no need, ever, for a table there. So the only thing to do is to buy an armless single seater to add to the sectional. We called Ethan Allen and they just discontinued our sectional. They increased the width or depth or something by 1", so the overall look is still sold, but the exact specifications are not available. This leaves three options if we want a chair there: 1. Get Ethan Allen corporate to agree to make us the one-off chair since it was so recently discontinued (this is the preferable and cheapest route). 2. Buy just the chair from the floor model, recover it in our fabric, refinish the wood on the bottom to match our current sectional (this option is the most expensive and is out in my mind). 3. Sell our sectional back to Ethan Allen at a discounted price & buy the new sectional with the additional chair (doable).
- We had to buy a new washing machine last week. While I know that it's probably the modern appliance I couldn't live without (imagine washing clothes by hand!), it's just a boring new item to have to buy. I'd so much rather buy fun gadgets with that money (who wouldn't?) I have yet to test out the new washer since I managed to get most loads done before the other one went completely kaput.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Summary
Labels:
consumerism,
house,
Mom,
travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wait. You bought a washing machine *last week* and haven't had to use it yet?!!
ReplyDeleteSomehow I get the impression that people think I'm exaggerating when I say I do laundry once every 2-3 weeks, but that is typical for me. It helps to have just one child who has an obscene amount of clothing. Also, we all have a lot of underwear - a necessity for laundry cycles as long as mine. :)
ReplyDelete